If you want to make perfect Tandoori chicken in Oven then you must have to know that, there is 2 marination in this recipe. Also, many people cook this perfectly in single marination, but believe me if you want the perfect and original taste in your chicken tandoori, please do these two types of marination as I described below.
That’s why it doesn’t matter what type or size of chicken you are taking if you make this tandoor by taking the right steps.
Whenever I want to eat this tandoori chicken, I buy a regular size chicken leg piece from the market and cook with it. You can also use large pieces of chicken or a whole chicken if you want. In this case, all the matters will be according to your wishes. Just remember that the steps are followed correctly.
In maximum Indian restaurants, they bake the chicken in tandoor ovens. That’s the original process but don’t upset. If you follow my recipe, your chicken will taste like the same.
Typically this chicken tandoori is a Punjabi dish. But this Indian subcontinent dish is famous all over the world. Actually this is a chicken dish prepared by roasting chicken marinated in yogurt and spices in a clay tandoor. For more please see Wikipedia.
So let’s start the first marination
1. The chickens brought from the market should be washed well first and then drained. Then with the help of a sharp knife cut 1/3 inch slash between the chicken pieces. [This will allow all the flavors to reach the inside of the chicken and make it more palatable.]
2. Then sprinkle 1 pinch of salt and 1 pinch of black pepper powder on the chicken. Spread 1 teaspoon ginger paste, 2/3 teaspoon garlic paste, 1/2 teaspoon green chili paste and mix well. Then spread 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, mix well and keep in the fridge for at least 3-4 hours.
3. This step is very important which many do not follow. In these 3-4 hours, by mixing lemon and salt with fat in the chicken, it will make the chicken soft and juicy from the inside and suitable for absorbing the flavor from the outside.
Making my special Homemade Tandoori Chicken Masala
4. This tandoori spice is also very easy to make, there is no rocket science in it. You can make and store it all at once or you can make it very easily in a hurry.
For ingredients we just need:
- Coriander Seeds
- Cumin Seeds
- Green Cardamom
- Dry Red Chili
- Black Pepper
5. Just heat a frying pan on medium-high flame. Add all the whole spices and start frying. When you get a nice authentic aroma, turn off the gas and put the spices out from the pan.
6. Blend them in a blender and your homemade Tandoori masala is ready.
Prepare the second marination of Chicken Tandoori
7. In a bowl, take 2 teaspoons of mustard oil, 1 teaspoon of Kashmiri chili powder, 2 teaspoons of tandoori masala (spice powder), and mix well.
8. Then add 2 teaspoons of thick yogurt (hung curd or Greek yogurt) and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. Now mix well and add 2 teaspoons of gram flour.
9. Take out the bowl of marinated chicken from the fridge and wait a while for it to come to room temperature.
10. Now add the marinade mixture to the chicken and mix well so that all the chicken is nicely coated. Leave it in this position for at least 2 hours so that the chickens can absorb all the flavors well.
Bake the Tandoori Chicken in Oven
11. For any baking recipe, we have to preheat the oven for better results. So, we have to set the oven at 200°C for at least 10 minutes.
12. In this meantime, we have to complete the arrangement of baking the chickens. First of all, grease the grills and then put the chicken pieces one by one on the grill.
13. When the preheating is done, open the oven door and place the grill at the top placement in the oven.
14. Set the oven on the “Grill” mode and the temperature will be 170°C. The timer will be 30 minutes is absolutely perfect.
15. After 15 minutes, flip the chicken pieces. It helps to bake the chicken perfectly at both sides.
For more details, please watch the video that I given below. That’s may helps you a lot visually.
Oven Baked Tandoori Chicken Recipe | Tandoori Chicken in Oven
How to make Mouth-Watering Tandoori Chicken Chicken Recipe? Here is the authentic tandoori chicken recipe with easy steps. You can also make Tandoori chicken at home in Oven. Get the recipe here with a video guide.
For 1st Chicken Marination
- 4 nos. Chicken leg-pieces
- 1 tbsp Ginger (paste)
- ¾ tbsp Garlic (paste)
- ½ tbsp Green chili (paste)
- ⅓ tbsp Black Pepper powder
- ⅓ tbsp Salt
- ½ tbsp Lemon Juice
For making Tandoori Masala
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- ¾ tbsp Cumin Seeds
- ½ inch Cinamon Stick
- 4 nos. Cloves
- 2 nos. Green Cardamom
- 1 nos. Dry Red Chili
For 2nd Marination of Chicken
- 2 tbsp Mustard Oil
- 1 tbsp Kashmiri Red Chili Powder (compulsory)
- 2 tbsp Tandoori Masala
- ⅓ tbsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tbsp Hung Curd
- ⅓ tbsp Kasoori Methi (Dry Fenugreek Leaves) (compulsory)
- 2 tbsp Gram Flour
- Salt (as per taste)
- 3 tbsp Lemon Juice
Do the 1st Marination
First, take the chicken pieces and cut the slash into chickens.
Sprinkle some salt with 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder.
Add ginger + garlic + green chili paste and mix well.
Now cover the chicken mixture for at least 4 hours to marinate. This is best if you marinate 24 hours. But if you have a hurry, 2 hours is also good.
Prepare the Simple Tandoor Masala
Just heat a frying pan and add all the ingredients I mentioned on the ingredients list.
Fry a little and grind them.
Do the 2nd Chicken Marination
Takeout the marinated chicken from the refrigerator and let it come at room temperature.
In a bowl, add 2 tbsp of mustard powder. [Kacchi Ghani mustard oil is recommended]
Add 1 tbsp of Kashmiri Red chili powder.
Also, you can use regular red chili powder, but I don't recommend using regular red chili powder because it has a lot of health disadvantages. [So, it's optional.]
Add 2 tbsp Tandoori masala.
Add 1/3 tbsp Kasoori methi powder along with 2 tbsp of hung curd and whisk well.
Thereafter add 2 tbsp of gram flour. You can also add salt as per taste.
Add lemon juice and mix well.
Now add the marination mixture to the chicken and mix well to be sure that every chicken is nicely coated.
Again rest it for a minimum of 30 minutes. But I recommend at least 2 hours.
Baking of Tandoori Chicken
We have to preheat the oven at 200°C for 10 minutes.
In this meantime, we have to arrange all the chicken pieces on the grill. so, grease the grill and arrange the chickens.
After the preheating is done, open the door and place the grill on the top placement of the oven.
Set the oven at 170°C and that mode will be "Grill". The timer will set at 30 minutes.
After 15 minutes, turn the sides of chicken for better results.
When the baking is done, serve it hot with green chutney and onion slices. I recommend sprinkling some chaat masala on top at the time of serving.
∗ You can also add a little black pepper and chaat masala powder if you want. I added pepper powder at the time of the first marinade, so I didn’t add at tandoori masala making time.
∗ Once the whole spices are fried, immediately remove them from the pan and place them in another container. Do not leave it in the pan, otherwise, the spices will burn in the heat of the pan.
What can we serve with baked tandoori chicken?
I mostly prefer yellow basmati rice or pulao. You can also serve it with Biryani, or fried rice.
- If the chickens need to be kept warm for a long time after baking, you can wrap them in aluminum foil. Many people give plastic wrap, but I do not recommend that.
- Ginger garlic paste and the garam masala is the key marinade ingredients in this recipe. So, I recommend using this homemade.
- If you want more red color in your chicken, just a little more Kashmiri red chili powder. That’s it.
Some common FAQ:
Q: Cooking in OTG Indian style tandoori chicken too much water is come out should it be removed or let it dry out on its own!
A: Usually, when cooking tandoori chicken, water will come out only if your chicken has a lot of water. Therefore, the chicken should be washed and dried well. Also, during baking, a small amount of oil comes out which accumulates in the tray placed on the bottom shelf of the oven, which is very normal.
Tandoori chicken better hai ya gravy chicken? / Is tandoori chicken better or gravy chicken?
This matter depends on your personal preference. Although I prefer both.
If you want to eat chicken with plain rice or any dry food, chicken gravy is good, just like I prefer chicken tandoori as a starter (although it can be eaten with everything like polao, bread, an Indian flatbread, salad, etc.).
In terms of health awareness, I would prefer tandoori chicken more.
Masala which is usually put on tandoori chicken or roasted chicken or fried chicken with amchoor or chat masala (amchur or chaat masala)?
That is chaat masala.
Do we add onion and tomato in chicken leg Tandoori?
Neither of these is recommended because the lighter you prepare the chicken, the tastier your chicken tandoori will be.
Although I have seen some people add a little onion paste and tomato paste during marination. But in my opinion, only gram flour is enough. The rest is your choice.
Can I have used both the heating elements of the oven for chicken tandoori?
Typically, we do this chicken tandoor in “grill” mode, especially the chicken pieces we use are leg pieces or wings. But sometimes we have to make whole chicken tandoori. Which is why our oven comes with a special mode which is rotisserie. In this case, we turn on both heating elements.
What is the tandoori spice which used in Nawab’s spice mix?
If you read my recipe you will know how to make tandoori masala easily. However, the method we use to prepare tandoori chicken is to first prepare the spice powder, to which we add red pepper, ginger-garlic paste, salt, amchoor, and a few spices separately. Then we marinate it by coating it with chicken.
However, in the case of Nawab’s tandoori spices, you do not have to make any spices separately. It has everything you need. Now your personal opinion is whether you can make this spice at home or buy ready-made chicken tandoori masala for cooking.
These are more interesting chicken recipes from us:
- Chilli Chicken Recipe
- Lemon Garlic Roast Chicken
- Chicken Drumstick Recipe
- Air Fryer Chicken Recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
If you like this article about tandoori chicken in oven recipe, please share this with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. Also, you can subscribe to my blog to get all the latest articles first on your mobile.
SHARING IS CARING!
Did you like this recipe and make it later at home? SAVE this pin to your favourite board on Pinterest!