Irish soda bread is very tasty and quick bread. If you have a little time on your hands, you can easily make this soda bread with some ingredients from your kitchen. So, let’s begin Irish Soda Bread Recipe.
What Is Irish Soda Bread?
Soda bread is a quick bread that so easy to make at home with few simple basic four ingredients – flour, baking soda, salt, and buttermilk. Other ingredients are often added to enhance the flavor of the bread, such as sugar, butter, eggs, raisins, and citrus. The baking soda is used as a leavening agent instead of yeast and the acid in the buttermilk reacts with the base of the baking soda to help the bread rise. The bread is shaped into a loaf and baked until golden brown.
Ingredients for Traditional Irish Soda Bread
To make this easy soda bread recipe, you just need some simple ingredients –
- Flour (all-purpose flour or wheat flour)
- An egg (optional)
- Raisins (optional)
- Baking soda
This soda bread recipe is super easy to make. You can bake it in a cast-iron frying pan (now that’s traditional) or a regular baking sheet. You can also make a simpler version without eggs or currants, but with some caraway seeds, or you could turn your soda bread dough into biscuits.
Now all we know the ingredients to prepare the bread, but how to make this simple homemade Irish soda bread?
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
- Most of the time when I cook some baking recipes, first I always mix together all of the dry ingredients of the recipe. Then, using a stand mixer or hand mixer or any mixer grinder, mix in the softened butter or you can use melted butter as well so that all dry ingredients get coated gently.
- Next, put all wet ingredients like buttermilk and egg and other components into the large bowl. Mix all these softly and keep in mind that don’t over mix.
- Now add the currants or raisins, for my suggestion and as I did in this recipe that adds a bit of flour in the raisins and give them a quick shake so that these raisins won’t stick to one another and this will help you evenly distribute your soda bread throughout. Then combine all very well and turn into a loaf.
- Now time to bake this bread. Spread the baking sheet first on a baking tray and lightly spray cooking oil on it. Now the prepared place flour mixture or dough on the tray like a loaf shape. Then, with a sharp knife, cut the dough about 1/2 inch deep on 1/2 inch distance. So that it helps to be well baked from the inside while baking.
- Preheat oven to 425° F and transfer to the oven and bake for about 30-40 minutes until the bread is golden. Also, you need to test it to see if the center is soft when tapped.
- After 30 minutes check it and take a toothpick, put straight into the center to check it’s done or not. If the toothpick comes out clear, then time to serve warm and enjoy!
What To Do With Leftover Ingredients?
To make this easy bread recipe, after baking the bread, if you have remaining ingredients and you don’t need now, you can store these leftover ingredients for another time.
If you have extra buttermilk, you can freeze it for next time. But how to freeze? To freeze the leftover buttermilk, just put that liquid in an ice cube tray. Once it is frozen, store that ice cubed in a zip-topped freezer bag.
How to Store Irish Soda Bread?
This Irish soda bread is so quick and easy to make at home, best for morning breakfast or snacks, serve with butter or jam or any dish you like.
But, at the same time if you don’t like to eat all, and want to eat this bread the next day. Just store it in the freeze, but keep in mind that it covers with plastic and again place in an airtight bag. You can keep it in the freezer for up to at least 3-4 days till 2-3 months.
But for my suggestion, it’s better to eat this within 4 days, not to store long. Or if you have an extra or remaining loaf, store it in the freezer with plastic and place in an airtight bag. It should keep for up to 3 or 4 days.
Don’t link buttermilk? So, worried about Irish soda bread recipe without buttermilk at home!
Substitute for Buttermilk to make a loaf of perfect soda bread?
Tensed! Don’t worry.
Buttermilk – have to thick and smooth, (if you buy from the store or if you make this at home). But if you don’t like to add buttermilk in this recipe, this substitute will work just as well.
To make this recipe, and looks like buttermilk, use whole milk or take 2% any kind of milk and add few tablespoons of the whole cream in it. Mix together and you will see the same as buttermilk. That process will be so easy and prepare the bread easy way that you want.
Which dishes can you serve with Irish Soda Bread?
There are many ways to eat Irish soda bread and many dishes will be served with it. However, everyone who eats bread in the breakfast is with butter, jam or jelly, to start the day.
But here are some interesting ideas to serve with this bread: Potato Soup, Broccoli Cheese Soup, Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup, Beef Stew, Minestrone Vegetable Soup, Cucumber Salad, Greek Pasta Salad, Avocado Salad with Berries, Chickpea tomato onion salad, Chicken salad, etc.
But in my opinion, this soda bread is best with coffee for breakfast. Try it now and experiment with this recipe and comment on what you like with this bread.
Irish Soda Bread Recipe
Irish soda bread is very tasty and quick bread. If you have a little time on your hands, you can easily make this soda bread with some ingredients from your kitchen.
- 2 cup All-purpose flour ((approx 250 grams))
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Baking Soda
- ½ tbsp Salt
- 1¾ cup Buttermilk
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 1 cup Raisins or Kismis
- 1 piece Egg
Pre-heat oven to 375°F (190°C). Gather all ingredients and take a large bowl for mixing the mixture.
In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Mix well.
Add butter in the flour and mix well using your (clean) hand until it resembles a coarse meal, then add in the raisins.
Add egg and buttermilk and mix this with a spoon until dough is too stiff to stir.
Move or place the dough to a lightly floured flat surface and knead for 30-40 seconds only, just long enough to form a rough ball. If the dough is too sticky to work with, add in a little more flour and form into an oval loaf. Do not over-knead!
Spread the baking sheet first on a baking tray and lightly spray cooking oil on it. Now place the prepared dough on the tray like a loaf shape. Then, with a sharp knife, cut the dough about 1/2 inch deep on 1/2 inch distance. So that it helps to be well baked from the inside while baking.
Transfer to the oven and bake at 425 ° F for about 30-40 minutes until the bread is golden. Also, you need to test it to see if the center is soft when tapped.
When you feel like everything is done, just serve it fast. Because these breasts are more flavorsome when hot.
In this recipe usage of melted butter and raisins are optional, you can skip it if you don’t like.
You can freeze this bread for more than 2 months.
Can you make Soda Bread without Buttermilk?
If you don’t have, or don’t like buttermilk, you can replace it with yogurt. You can also make your own flavor or another creativity by combining milk and lemon juice and giving it supper delicious after bake and taste it.
After adding yogurt or milk with lemon juice or stout beer, they immediately start the action. So you have to quickly mix but not over mix and put in the oven.
Now here are some tips to make the perfect loaf and get perfect bread
- Use melted butter to quickly mix with dry ingredients.
- Use mixer blender to quickly mix all the ingredients.
- If you don’t have buttermilk on hand or in your kitchen. Just combine 2 cups of milk with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Let the milk sit for about 10 minutes or until the mixture looks curdled, then proceed with the recipe.
- Or use whole milk or any 2% of milk with few tablespoons of cream and mix well, gets the batter same as buttermilk.
- Or you don’t like buttermilk or not have anything like milk or cream or lemon juice, just add yogurt and quick mix with all the ingredients and put in the oven.
- Some people like to add some raisins or cashew nuts into the batter for flavor, but if you don’t like please omit this, it’s optional and depends on your choice.
- You can also add other dry ingredients such as lemon zest, orange zest or caraway seeds or you can use dried currants, alternate of raisins. Whatever you like for flavor, add in the bread batter as per your choice.
- Keep in mind that the flour or flour will be sticky and soft. To keep your hands not attached, use some flour in your hand and spread a few on the surface so that the flour is not attached or sticks and makes a nicely shaped loaf.
I found this video on YouTube that may helps you. Please check it
If your like this article keep share with all and want more article like this to subscribe to my blog and hit the notification so that all upcoming recipes you will get first while published.
Few more recipes for your Breakfast:
SHARING IS CARING!
Did you like this article and make it later at home? SAVE this pin to your favorite board on Pinterest!